H2S Alive – Energy Safety Canada
Cost: $145.00 + GST
This course shows workers how to work safely in and around hydrogen sulphide (H2S) environments.
H2S is a naturally occurring gas. It is often referred to as sour gas, acid gas, stink damp or sulphurated hydrogen. H2S is colorless, heavier than air in its pure state, and extremely toxic. It can also deaden your sense of smell. In low concentrations, it has a rotten egg smell and causes eye and throat irritation. At higher concentrations, it can cause death.
For these reasons, training in how to protect yourself is crucial in any industry where H2S might be encountered. This course provides participants with the skills and knowledge to help them identify and detect H2S, mitigate the hazards of working in an H2S environment, and respond to an incident involving an H2S release. It includes both theory and practical application exercises.
Upon successful completion of the course and examination with a minimum score of 70%, you will receive a Certificate of Completion that is valid for three years.
- H2S properties
- Health hazards and locations
- Hazard assessment and control
- Respiratory protective equipment
- Detection of H2S
- Initial response strategy
- Participants must be able to put on a mask and breathe under air
- Participants must be able to participate in rescue drag techniques
- Basic literacy and understanding in the language the course is being taught is required
- Students must be on time and present for all course content instruction. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed, as per the Cancellation Policy .